These salad rolls are super popular here in little, ol' Adelaide. They are cheap, delicious and I haven't met anyone that doesn't like them. The pickled carrots are just so amazing. I can't believe it took me this long to figure out how to make them.
Now, the carrot.
Makes: enough for 4 rolls.
Time: Two hours to pickle so make ahead.
- Two carrots, julienned. Use a mandolin or your handy food processor, or if worse comes to worse, use a grater.
- One cup of rice vinegar.
- One pinch of salt.
- One cup of water.
Time: 5 minutes.
- One roll, preferably a crusty, long one.
- One teaspoon of veggie margarine mixed with two teaspoons of veggie mayonnaise.
- Two teaspoons of soy sauce or bragg's.
- Some of the above carrot.
- Enough slices of cucumber to cover the sandwich.
- A small bunch of coriander.
- A few slices of fresh chili, or to taste.
- I added some black sesame seeds to mine.
Pour the soy sauce over the bread. Place the carrots on one side, then the cucumber, coriander and chili.
Put the top on the roll and devour the beauty that is this damn fine roll.