I'm shit at making salads. I have a few that I bounce back to always, namely rocket and marinated veg, or rocket, pear and walnut. Rocket and anything, really. So now that it's Summer, otherwise known as Salad Days, I am on a mission to figure out how to make a winning salad. You can win friends with salad, dammit.
Today, I walked passed a beautifully ripe pawpaw in the veggie shop. So I stood there and googled pawpaw salad. All that google showed me was green papaya salad. Fail, Google.
So I stated to google salsas and ended up using all that inspiration to make a pretty tasty salad. Good things come to those who Google. I did have to think "why am I googling and not just throwing this all in a bowl?" But then I had to admit to myself that when it comes to salad, I don't rock that casbah. Nope.
Here's kinda what I made. I hope it gives you some sexy inspiration.
- Chopped Pawpaw. (I'm not going to give you amounts. Just use what feels right.)
- Chopped Avocado. (Ok. I used half an avocado and quarter of a pawpaw- but this was just for me.)
- Red Capsicum. (Quarter, chopped)
- One Spring Onion, chopped.
- Fresh Mint and Coriander leaves, chopped.
- Sesame seeds. (half a teaspoon)
- Pepita seeds. (a teaspoon)
- Red chilli. (I used dried, about half a teaspoon, but I like chilli.)
- A splash of sesame oil. (You could use lime juice)
Place the pawpaw, avocado and capsicum in a bowl. Top with the fresh herbs and then the seeds and chilli. Splash the oil over. Eat.
What I ate here equaled 292 calories for those of you kicking' it health-wise.
Here is a picture of one of the hundreds of rainbow lorikeets eating the loquats from my tree. I'm happy to share. I can't reach those ones anyway.